Sunday, October 5, 2008

Intercarreras was this week. We don't have an equivalent in the US, but we have some similar things. Think of the olympics with twice as many events and half as many competitors. Make the participants put on lip-syncing shows and pop concerts at night. Anytime anyone isn't playing they are expected to be part of a dancing, drumming, chanting, section of supporters. Don't let anyone work all week, and if they get tired give them 3rd world made fireworks to use irresponsibly.
Below is a picture of the carerra I work with the most, Rural Tourism. I think this was during the Group Dance event. They did Bye Bye Bye from N'sync, which isn't unpopular here. In the background of this picture is the word TOURISMO written in flaming rags.
There was a Basketball tournament that I had to ref, which I have never done before. It lasted about 12 hours. I worked with a German kid who lives with the priests in Coroico, that was pretty interesting. It turned out he spoke good English, but at first I thought it was cool to be talking to him when we were both using our second languages.
The closing event was big group dances, and it included one done by administrators. We danced the Morenada, which I don't have a picture of. The costume I had to wear was heavy but really ornate and cool. It rained all morning and we danced on the soccer field. It was all mud, it was deep, and it was cold. It was a blast, but I don't think many people besides me appreciated it.

Take care everyone,

LOVE

andy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

Sounds like things are going well. I liked the story about the German guy and you both talking in your second language. That has to be a very accomplished feeling for the two of you. If it makes you feel better I think the mud soccer sounds fun. I hope that your work continues to go well.

Best Regards

Derek

katie said...

where is the picture of you in the costume?
POST IT :)

miss you guys!!