Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A few weeks ago I posted about a clock I bought. I paid 30 B´s or a little under a days wage picking in the fields. I worte about how the cost of some things I would consider necisities is incredible while the value of human labor is low beyond belief. Today I have to recant. My friend was looking at my pics on my blog (she doesn't read English well) and got really excited when the saw HER CLOCK! She asked why it was online and I said I was writing about how I couldn't believe something so important could cost so much. After I told her what I paid she said hers was about 10 B'S. Lately I have been seeing that same clock everywhere like in peoples homes ad street vendors kiosks. Always MUCH cheaper than I paid.

I call it the Gringo Discount. Although it doesn't happen all the time I'm positive it exists. They say wearing a missionaries cross helps. Instead I wear blond hair, a fleece jacket, and a tourist's backback.

When Sam and I went with tourisim students to the nature preserve where they had internships. I found the darndest little card in the kitchen. It was a list of prices for commonly purchased suppliments to the lunch menu, things like designer beer, sodas, and coffee. Every item had three numbers written next to it. Prices for employees, Bolivians, and EXTRANJEROS. The increase wasen't quite geometric, but I have since rethought my wardrobe. Is it really suprising that this practice is so institutionalized? no but I had always just hoped I was imagining things like that.

LOVE

andy

No comments: